Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My First Quilt

One of my friends recently posted a video on how to do a "Jelly Roll" Quilt top in less than an hour! Wow. That sounded like my kind of project. I watched the whole video and it didn't sound like anything I could handle so I started looking for jelly rolls on Amazon and was immediately overwhelmed and gave up--to save this project for another day.
But while walking through Joann's the other day I spotted these little beauties! I could not resist.  


In the jelly roll video the rolls were quite large so I bought two of these smaller ones and crossed my fingers that it would be the right size. And I followed this tutorial.  Here is how the top turned out without the borders.

I think its important to mention here that in the video it tells you to take the strips right of the roll. Which is what I did and the rows did not turn out as randomized as hers did in the video. I figured out that the smaller jelly rolls rotate the patterns and the larger ones stack each pattern then move to the next one. I made another one not pictured and separated the patterns out and it looked much better. 

I added a grey and a teal border just to square it up. I think it makes it look much better. It turned out HUMONGOUS. So it will have to wait until she's older before she can use it but i still love it. Some mistakes but overall I'm happy.

For the back I used a Minky super soft grey fabric that I love! it was like $14.99 a yard luckily I had a coupon.

Super happy with my first ever quilt!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment