Friday, March 28, 2014

Craft Night with my Mom and lil Sis.

Back in October I went out to visit my Mom and little Sister and we had a craft night at our church. We signed up for projects ahead of time and made them as a huge group one night.
The three projects I signed up for were: (and I believe I paid $20 for the supplies for all three)
1. A "Be the Good" Sign
2. A 3 Wise Men Photo Block
3. A Photo Block of the Prophet of our Church (to learn more about our church visit here)
The goal was to complete all three projects from start to finish in 3 hours! My kind of night!

First, the Be the Good Sign:
We started with this one because we had to stain the 1"x4" planks first. It took some time for it to dry because it was night time...in Colorado... in October... So of course there was snow on the ground and moisture in the air! Let's just say it took awhile.

Then, once that was dry, we took nails, hammers and hangers and beat the heck out of the planks to give it that distressed look. then I sanded the edges again to give it some definition. Once all that was done then you paint the letters. We used a stencil and regular craft paint with sponges--literally took me about 5 minutes. Then you screw the boards together with 3 pieces of scrap wood on the back and hang some picture wire and BOOM, an awesome piece of decor with that DIY touch! I love it.



So while those were drying we started on the photo blocks. Pieces of 2"x4" wood cut to the size of a 4"x6" photo. We used sand paper to smooth off the edges and then painted them so the photo could have a background color. Since I chose white, it took mine a bit longer because I had to do more coats than those who chose to use black. Anyway once the paint was dry, you use Mod Podge, in either Matte or Gloss, and paste the photo (or in our case picture printed paper). Super, super easy. Here are the finished photo blocks:

No comments:

Post a Comment