Thursday, March 27, 2014

Spring Project Time!

It's been a good craft month for me. I've been able to organize and plan what I want to get done this Spring before I don't want to do ANYTHING in the summer heat! Plus, the weather has been hit or miss so still a lot of inside (my favorite!) days.

So, I went fabric shopping and found these two beautiful fabrics... I knew I wanted to attempt these "pouf chairs" I had seen on Pinterest (where else?) and since the fabric was such a good deal I figured why not give it a shot. First let me start by saying that I am by no means an "expert seamstress" or anything like that at ALL! I would consider myself a very-very beginner. So this project was a little daunting but why not try right?!

Before:

After:

I love them. And they were so incredibly easy that I have fabric right now to do 5 more and maybe give them away or sell them? I don't know.they only cost $10-20 to make depending on how expensive the fabric is... What I know is: They are fun and FAST to make. And my munchkins LOVE them! 


What I learned: Piping is awesome and not at all intimidating. Trust me. It really makes this project. Everything looks so finished and complete and and really clean edge. I also added zippers to mine because with my messy kids I knew I would have to wash them eventually. Glad I did but wish I knew what I was doing with the zippers. That took the longest. Even with both my kids up and having constant interruptions, start to finish I would say this project took me about 3 hours. Piece of cake. 

Materials and Cost: 
1 yard of Home Decor Fabric: $9 (both the blue and the purple ones were on 60% off at Joann's--normally $19.99/yd)
2 packages of 1/2" piping: $3
30-40 oz. of fiberfill: $6
Zipper: $0.97
Thread-Owned: Free

Total Project Cost: $18.97/each Pouf* 

* I found cheaper fabric when I went back in the clearance sections that brought down the fabric cost, AND I bought a BULK box of Fiberfill to finish the other 5 Pouf's I have fabric for. I would estimate that now my CPP (Cost Per Pouf!) is probably closer to $10-12. 

Also this is part of a bigger: Reading Corner Project that is still in progress but almost done! 


Next: My 1st Ever Crocheted Hat
At church we're collecting hats and scarves for the "Mad Hatter Foundation" which is an organization that collects and redistributes hats to cancer patients across the country. This is from a pattern called "Chemo Cap" found on Pinterest (duh). It was my first ever attempt on hat, or band or a flower. And I think it turned out pretty good. 
P.S. I love the Tiffany's colors-total coincidence... :)

What I Learned: Reading patterns when you are a rookie crochet-er is ridiculously hard. And luckily my Mom and YouTube were there to help. Don't know if I'm cut out for the crochet world. But the pattern was for a "beginner", maybe just not my level of beginner!

Materials and Cost:  
Less that 1 skein of yarn-Owned: Free
H" Crochet Hook-Owned: Free

Total Cost: Free! Just lots of time. Gladly given to help someone in need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment