Thursday, March 27, 2014

Hello Blog World.

KysCraftyMama is catching up with the rest of the blogging world to share some insight and hopefully some inspiration with all of the projects I have attempted and all the things I have learned along the way! Excited to be here sharing my knowledge! 

Without further adieu, here are some of my latest projects:

First: We recently moved and we have ALOT more room and luckily with all of the new space in the new house I am able to have my own little craft nook! I love it. Anyway, I was searching Pinterest (like always) for ideas for a craft table and came across a DIY bookshelf-tons-of-storage craft table that my hubs Capt. Awesome quickly vetoed. So I decided to have my own MacGyver'd version of a similar table to the one I saw but instead of making the bookshelves, I used a 9-Square Home Storage Shelf and and regular bookshelf that I already owned and then placed a cut piece of MDF board on top. Heres a picture: 


It's tall and sturdy and it holds most of my craft stuff...most importantly: it's out of the munchkin's reach! It was more expensive than I was expecting: about $30 for a huge piece that they cut down for free to my measurements. But an actual craft table or new desk would definitely cost me more than $30! So I'm happy! 

What I learned: Should have measured it again while still at Lowe's because when I went to place it on top of the bookshelves, I just assumed they cut it correctly and it was a little too snug of a fit. (I wasn't there, Awesome went for me because he's too good to me-so really this is my own fault!) I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to ever get it out but since we just moved hopefully it will get to stay awhile! 

Materials and Cost: 
Already Owned Bookshelf and 9 Square: Free! 
MDF Board: $30

Total Cost: $30! 


Next, ribbon storage holder. 
So I didn't have very many ribbons in this picture but my collection has grown substantially. And this little guy is a genius addition to my new craft nook. It is a scrap of 1"x4" about 2-3ft long and about six 8" nails from the hardware store ($0.48/piece). I superglued the nails to the wood and added a quick coat of craft paint and voila! Less than $4 ribbon storage that sits right on the banister next to my new craft table. 

What I learned: The superglue was not strong enough for constantly pulling the ribbon on and off the nails, eventually one of the nails came unglued but I just E6000 industrial adhesive and haven't had a problem since. 

Materials and Cost: 
Scrap piece of 1"x4" wood about 2.5' long: $1
Six 8" Nails: $2.88
White Craft Paint-Owned: Free
Superglue-Owned: Free

Total Cost: >$4


Next: "My Lil' Masterpiece" picture frame!



This was just a plain wood empty frame that I painted with the leftover Disney ChalkPaint ("A Shirt for Pooh") that matches everything in my house and I attached a picture hanging wire across the back and added clothespins. I made matching ones for both of the munchkin's masterpieces. Favorite part is that you can keep changing them out for the lastest wall-worthy-one-of-a-kind-pictures! 

What I learned: The picture wire I attached not the back and when I went to hang it on the wall the frame hangs off the wall quite a bit. Perhaps I would screw the wire onto the front or maybe use a staple gun instead if you have one (I don't). 

Materials and Cost: 
Plain Open Wood Frames: $8 x2
Picture Hanging Wire kit: $1.86
ChalkPaint-Owned: Free

Total Project Cost: $17.86

Stay tuned more projects coming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment